Tuesday, August 4, 2009

learning some history of my homeland

it amazes me how little i know about my homeland. i know for sure that it's because i was born there and left at a young age. i can't remember studying the history of the philippines at all and while i think it's a bit unfortunate, it's understandable that i don't remember because i believe i was so young. the reason why i'm writing this is because of recent events. Former president Cory Aquino passed away this weekend. We have Filipino channels at home and every show was interrupted by the news of her passing. I was quite surprised. I didn't know too much about her although I'd hear her name here and there. I then asked my dad if she was an influential figure. He kind of looked at me funny and told me that she was the first female president of the Philippines. She is truly admired by the Filipino people, as probably thousands attend her public viewing at the Manila Cathedral. This admiration made me want to learn more about her and her family. From what I have learned so far, her and her husband were amazing politicians. They were in politics to make changes and her family suffered for that. Her husband was assassinated upon return to the Philippines from a 7 year exile in the U.S--due to allegations of bombings in Manila by President Marcos. Such a tragedy. But with that, came her presidency. She did so many great things even prior to her term that she won Time Magazine's Most Influential Woman of the Year in 1986. She was also nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and was awarded the Martin Luther King Jr. Nonviolent Peace Prize. Amazing woman. R.I.P. President Cory Aquino.

It's these little facts that make me realize that I need to learn more about my birthplace. There are so many events that I don't know and should know. I need to learn about the beginning of our history and its progress through time. The last time I went to the Philippines was about 10 years ago and I didn't even go to the historical sites! I am truly saddened by that, but the next time I go, I'm going to explore my homeland and learn more about it. How exciting!


1 comment: