Thursday, September 17, 2009

alive

i seriously had a great day today. i felt so uplifted and happy with my life and that hasn't happened in a long time.

i have been in this funk for awhile because I felt discouraged after not being able to find work and pushing forward. the direction i saw myself in after graduating was clear and definite, but after all these months of not being able to find my dream job created a bunch of knots and jumbled my direction in life. i felt like i wasn't good enough for anything out there and just went weeks&months without applying myself. i was almost scared that i would fall into depression but luckily, my family is always there for me and are true supporters.

i've been feeling like i'm letting my life pass me by and the month of august is when i decided to finally do something about it. i looked for jobs and applied to whatever looked like i could qualify for, while trying to find jobs that would actually use my degree. unfortunately, with pretty much no experience in the planning field, you can consider yourself the last person someone wants to hire. it's like someone literally put Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak on you so you knew you were there, but others did not. I finally broke out of that damn invisibility cloak and decided that i needed to be seen.

Well....i believe it worked. I contacted someone from a non-profit organization that does wonderful things to protect natural resources and land use planning.I couldn't believe that I found this organization because their line of work is exactly the kind of thing that i want to do. And you know what? this person actually contacted me and wanted to meet with me to talk about work opportunities. hooray!

I met with him this afternoon and while I thought it was going to be a bunch of awkward silent moments, it turned out really well. when you have similar interests and passions with someone, it's hard not to have a great conversation. i talked about my career aspirations and my interests in the field and he talked about all these opportunities that would be a good fit for me. i can't wait to start working for this organization. i'm beyond excited for the challenges and things i'm going to be learning.

I felt alive and driven by the time our meeting ended. geez where has the real sharyn been in the last year and a half? it drives me nuts thinking about my lack of accomplishments when i know myself to be a hard worker.

lesson learned. i just needed to try harder and i have to always remember that i have to reach out and make my dreams come true because no one but me is going to do that. i can't expect anything to be handed to me without any effort.

life is good, so let's dream and make those dreams come true. give life a bit of elbow grease and it will reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment